Saturday, April 08, 2006

On Work, Lolita, and something more (I guess)

Did I happen to mention that I am working? (duh!, of course I did!)
Not that I’m complaining or anything, but I don’t have much time for anything but work lately, and the few hours I have away from the office I spend working out and watching TV; the last thing I want to do when I get home is turning on my laptop and spend yet another hour answering e-mails or typing, thus the lack of updates in this place.

Anyway, I am happy to say that I am enjoying my job very much. The environment is very open and friendly, people are nice, the job itself is interesting, and I am busy all the time which makes the days go by so fast that I can’t believe it’s Saturday already!.

I have been reading “Lolita” by Vladimir Nabokov in the last couple of weeks and I am perplexed by this book’s narrative, as well as by the disturbing topic it deals with (pedophilia). “Lolita”, for those of you who haven’t read it, is Humbert Humbert’s autobiography led by a ‘love story’ (I use the quotation marks because what is ‘love’ in this story can be lengthy discussed) between this man and a thirteen years old girl, Lolita.

Thirteen years old! Come on! Well, the book is such a fabulous piece of literature that for more than its first half you keep reading and reading Humbert’s explanation of why he is attracted to nymphets (or sexually aware and desirable young girls) that it becomes something so natural in its context that, at moments, it hardly seems wrong. However, eventually in the book you start realizing the deep and negative impact this kind of relationship has on Lolita, and although the reader can notice plenty of dysfunctional moments throughout the book it is not until the last second half that something lights on Humbert’s mind and he starts realizing the harm he caused to this girl, although he never repents on it –so blinded is he by his passion and sexual desire for his Lo.

So! Now that I’m done with “Lolita” (I even watched Stanley Kubrick’s film version of it last night!), I’m getting started with “The Great Gatsby” sometime this weekend … I’ll let you know how that one goes. Right now I’m listening to The Boards of Canada, super cool electronic music, perfect for Saturday morning.

No comments: